Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Simply Delicious Amish Cooking Recipes and stories from the Amish of Sarasota, Florida

By Sherry Gore
Published by Zondervan 

http://www.booksneeze.com/art/_240_360_Book.860.cover.jpg
Recipes from the Amish community is a good possibility to vary ones daily and festive food. One can find very simple recipes as well as quite complicated ones. By reading through recipes I was inspired to use what is around me and got many  good ideas for my future meals.

The book is very well structured and it is easy to find a recipe that one is interested in.  The recipes are simple and well described. There no problems to follow them. The Amish community mostly uses ingredients that they grow themselves or are in any local shop which makes making them accessible to any one (Although I mean anyone living in the States). By using seasonal and local products the Amish community express their dependance on a loving God in providing in their needs.

Since  I am not an American, the Amish world is an unknown territory for me. I enjoyed pictures at the beginning of chapters because they well illustrated the life of an Amish community. However, I wish that the pictures of meals had not been piled in one block up but put along the recipes they illustrate.
I also would have wanted to have a peak in the traditions and the culture of Amish people not just some snippets from the newspaper which did not tell me much about the life the community. Some of those stories were fanny but mostly they bored me.

One of the sections I really valued was "Tips." I found many good advise starting with caring for the rolling pin and storing the brown sugar.
The grates value of this book is the focus on simplicity and God given products around us. 

I received this book from Zondervan’s Booksneeze program but I am under no obligation to provide a positive review.



No comments:

Post a Comment